1. The minimum unsupported span must allow a 1000mm long by 150mm high box to pass freely underneath the bridge.
2. The maximum unsupported span length cannot exceed 1200mm. The maximum length of the entire bridge must not exceed 1350mm.
3. The minimum operating width of the bridge deck must be 150mm. It must run the entire length of the bridge. The continuous deck must be constructed entirely of wood (i.e. no solid glue decks).
4. The maximum width of the bridge at any point must be no more than 350mm, so it can fit into the testing apparatus.
5. The maximum height of the bridge (from the ground to the tallest point) must not exceed 600mm.
6. The maximum height of the span (the deck or platform) must be less than 450 mm from the ground.
7. The maximum deflection of the road deck is 50mm. If the bridge has not failed once this deflection is reached, the carried load at that point will become its ultimate load.
8. At the weigh in, each competitor will be given a dead weight of 8 kg (20 lbs). Six, evenly distributed points on the bridge span will be designated by the weigh-in committee for the bridge. Each team will be presented a dice to roll, with each value representing one of the designated points along the span. The team must then place the dead weight on that designated position of the span for 5 seconds. This procedure will be repeated twice. The first point will be eliminated on the second roll (i.e. can’t test same point twice). A 25 % penalty to the total score will be applied to bridges that cannot support this dead weight.
Definition of Failure:
If one or more members of the bridge structure completely fractures (i.e. full fracture of any member).
9. A smooth continuous bridge deck for vehicular traffic must be provided along the entire span of the bridge.
10. The slope of the deck must not exceed 6%.
11. The load will be applied on the deck of the bridge. An opening of 100mm by 100mm must be left above the center of the bridge deck so that loading may be applied at the center point.
12. Anchorage of piers is not permitted and no external anchorage is permitted.
13. The maximum bridge weight is limited to [url removed, login to view], and the minimum weight is 1.0kg.